Bulk Solids Handling
The handling of granular material concerns dozens of billion tons of material worldwide. Approximately 50% of all goods once existed as granular form during their industrial production. The quality of the end product is strongly affected by the overall handling of the particles during the production processes.
The Institute of Particle Process Engineering started research in bulk solids handling in 1972, which is currently carried on by the EU Interreg project “PowderReg”. The project aims to optimize industrial processes with granular materials – from storage to the end product. This includes experimental and simulation-aided investigations of powder flow properties under high stresses (shear cells) and for free flowing regimes (powder rheometer) to predict flow profiles and mass flow rates during silo discharge.
The project “Analysis of the fluidization and shear conditions in rotor fluidized beds under dry and wet conditions" investigates the influence of liquids and particle shape on particle dynamics in a dense sheared gas-solid flow. Granulation and coating are modeled with a CFD-DEM approach. Using the example of a rotor fluidized bed, detailed experimental investigations of the particle dynamics are carried out using a novel MPT measuring technique under dry and wet conditions (spraying liquids).
DFG-ANR collaboration project „PASTFLOW“: Spreading of granular pastes: from the particle to end use properties
March 9, 2021
Contact: Fabian Krull
Transport, Lagerung und Formgebung industriell relevanter Partikelsysteme: Interreg Projekt "PowderReg"
January 1, 2017
Contact: Robert Hesse
Funding: Europäischer-Strukturfond zur regionalen Entwicklung (EFRE)
Recent Pubications (2018-2021)
- Hesse, R., Krull, F., Antonyuk, S.: Prediction of random packing density and flowability for non-spherical particles by deep convolutional neural networks and Discrete Element Method simulations, Powder Technology 393 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2021.07.056
- Krull, F., Mathy, J., Breuninger, P., Antonyuk, S.: Influence of the surface roughness on the collision behavior of fine particles in ambient fluids, Powder Technology (2021) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2021.06.051.
- Hesse, R., Krull, F., Antonyuk, S.,: Experimentally Calibrated CFD-DEM Study of Air Impairment during Powder Discharge for Varying Hopper Configurations, Powder Technology 372 (2020), 404-419, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2020.05.113
- Grohn, P., Lawall, M., Oesau, T., Heinrich, S., Antonyuk, S., (2020): “CFD-DEM Simulation of a Coating Process in a Fluidized Bed Rotor Granulator”, Processes 8 (9), S. 1090. https://doi.org.10.3390/pr8091090
- Grohn, P., Weis, P., Thommes, M., Heinrich, S., Antonyuk S., (2020): “Contact behavior of MCC pellets depending on their water content”, Chemical Engineering & Technology 2020, https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201900517
- Grohn, P., Weis, D., Bröckel, U., Heinrich, S., Antonyuk, S.: Contact Models and DEM Simulation of Micrometer-Sized Particles and Agglomerates at Static Loading Based on Experimental Characterization. In: S. Antonyuk: Particles in Contact. Cham: Springer, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-15899-6
- Krull, F., Hesse, R., Breuninger, P., Antonyuk, S.: Impact behaviour of microparticles with micro-structured surfaces: Experimental study and DEM simulation, Chemical Engineering Research and Design 135 (2018), 175-184, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2018.05.033
Schulze ring shear cell RST-01
Heating/cooling shear cells for varying conditions
Jenike shear cell
Availability of a variety of wall insertions for wall friction measurements and dif-ferent sizes of shear cells
Brookfield power flow tester
High speed/high precision scale for discharge experiments
ISO 697 Bulk density measurement
Jolting volumeter STAV2003
Tapping bulk density
Several flexible silo discharge set-ups
Schulze time consolidation table
Measurement of particle / droplet trajectories
Ultra-Pycnometer (Model 1000T, Quantachrome)
Measurement of material density
Simulation and Numerical Tools
- ANSYS CFX, ANSYS Fluent
- LIGGGHTS / CFDEMcoupling
- EDEM solutions